Excellence is often in the eye of the beholder. When it comes to holiday card photos, it seems those with a more adventurous spirit are the ones we tend to admire most. This may be because we secretly admire those who get creative and even take a bit of risk. Our attention and interest are piqued when something catches our eye in a unique way. In essence, this means taking the risk to do something special, unique, and just a little bit different from those around us. I have 10 great tips for you to consider when setting up your next photoshoot to take excellent holiday card photos. Let’s check them out:
- Incorporate a theme – One great way to maximize your holiday photo is by incorporating a theme. This can take shape in many forms. Try a picking a scene from your favorite holiday movie or book, a color theme, silly expressions, or something from your own imagination. Giving yourself creative boundaries can be a fun way to make your family holiday photo a fun success.
- Pick a pose – Family portraits can be a bit bland when everyone uses the same old poses and backgrounds. Why not try something a little bit different to shake things up? Do a twist on a family pose by doing a pretend jail lineup (Santa, we can explain!), or have the whole family tangled in lights. Pick a silly, different pose and have fun!
- Choose the right time of day – A smart way to get excellent holiday card photos is to make sure the whole clan is happy. Choosing the right time of day is not just about getting the right light (which is important), but also the right time for your family. If you have little kids, those ideal light times of early in the morning or late at night may not fit into your schedule. Make sure to plan your photoshoot for that happy medium to capture happy people, regardless of the time of day.
- Get casual – I know from experience, lots of families like to dress fancy for their holiday photoshoots. This is totally great! However, if you want to make an impression, why not start by getting a bit casual? Dress for fun, with laid back coordinated outfits and I promise you won’t be let down.
- Different perspectives – Don’t be afraid to try a new look on the same old picture. Capturing your family from a new angle might be just the way to tell your family’s story while bringing in a bit of whimsy.
- Involve an activity – For families who would like to have a more candid feel to their photos, pick an activity for everyone to join in on. Perhaps a game of Candyland, or decorating the Christmas tree? You could even pile onto the couch for storytime while Dad reads the Night Before Christmas.
- Let your humor shine – Don’t be afraid to let your family fly their freak flag (just a little)! Being silly and goofy can be just the thing you need to create fun, lasting memories and stellar family photos.
- Zoom in – Get close and personal! Even if you’d like to incorporate some of the other tips here, this one can still be applied. Rather than a typical family shot, have the image cropped in close to see the family’s smiling faces in a new way.
- Make the card stand out – Having awesome photos isn’t the only way to make your holiday card stand out this season. There are actually some great holiday card cuts to consider. Rather than the typical square, or rectangular cards, consider a special die cut. I’ve seen cards cut in the shape of holiday ornaments, or with special beveled edges. You could even make your card awesome by adding glitter effects, 3-D aspects, or even making the card yourself!
- Be creative, not awkward – It’s one thing to be creative and goofy, and another to be way awkward. Before choosing a new direction to take your holiday cards, make sure everyone in the family is on board. When you try to force it, you’ll often find the one with the idea looking relaxed and the rest of the family is quite the opposite!
About the Author:
Julie Kubal is a child and family portrait artist and photographer serving Washington DC, Maryland, and Northern Virginia. She is passionate about creating warm and meaningful artwork through modern portraits and lifestyle photography at a location of your choice!