Early fall is one of the most exciting times of the year. But let’s face it, most parents blink and suddenly the holidays have arrived. As a parent and a photographer, I’m a big advocate of having holiday photos taken early. Read on for my top eight reasons why.
1. Ease of booking. Leading up to the holiday season, people inevitably begin scrambling to schedule last minute family photography shoots. Available sessions disappear quickly, and what was supposed to be a special family time is suddenly stressful and inconvenient.
2. It always takes longer than you think. When planning to book a session, it is important to remember that the photoshoot is just the beginning. Once the session is over, the photos still need to edited, ordered and delivered, a card template has to be made and printed, the final product must be addressed and mailed.
3. That summer glow. Sun kissed skin, natural highlights, and the residual look of summer only lasts so long.
4. The beautiful weather. Need I say more? In the Washington D.C. area the earlier months offer longer hours of bright sunlight, ideal for capturing clear shots. Additionally, the weather tends to be more consistent, lowering the chance of unexpected gray skies or erratic changes. Besides, who doesn’t love a warm and sunny outdoor shoot instead of one that is chilly and gray?
5. Clothing sales. If you’re looking to pick up new outfits for your family, capitalizing on the early season sales is a great way to score some finds.
6. That moment you get to say “Oh my holiday cards? They’re finished already”. Who doesn’t want to be that person?
7. You’re prepared for the unexpected. If your session is booked far enough in advance, sudden changes in schedules, random illness, or inclement weather won’t put you at risk for having to take holiday photos on your iPhone.
8. Because the holidays are busy enough. Between traveling, cooking, shopping, hosting family, and general preparations, there is simply enough to do without the added hassle of arranging and coordinating a family photoshoot. Let yourself enjoy this time by crossing one item off the list as early as possible.
When does your family have holiday photos taken? Do you think earlier is better? Let’s discuss in the comments below!