Some women may feel self-conscious during their pregnancy and may be unsure whether or not taking maternity photos is right for them. This shouldn’t be a worry at all. A great photographer will know how to showcase your natural glowing beauty with the right lighting, gentle poses, and artful composition for beautiful pregnancy photos.
Here are 5 compelling reasons why you should have pregnancy photos taken:
- Announcing the pregnancy. Whether this is a first time, or you’re an old hat – announcing a pregnancy with professional photos is one of the more artful ways to break the news. You can be as simple, or as creative as you’d like and with the support of a professional, you can trust your shots will be done right.
- A record for later. I guarantee you, when your new baby is about five or six, they’ll want to start seeing photos of themselves when they were little—maybe because you’re having another baby, maybe because they’re simply curious—they’ll want to know more about the time before they arrived. Having pregnancy photos to show them is a great way to reminisce with them.
- Comparing pregnancies. We always think we’ll remember each pregnancy, but as more children enter our lives, it becomes harder to remember which pregnancy was which. When you have pregnancy photos to look back on, you’re not only documenting the changes your body goes through, but granting yourself the ability to compare those photos later on.
- Partner (and children! And pets!) involvement. Sometimes it can be difficult for our partners, kids, and pets to be involved with the pregnancy process. They can all be involved in the maternity photo shoot to show their love, support, and appreciation.
- Breaking stereotypes. There was a time, not all that long ago, when pregnancy was considered something to mask over or hide. By embracing your changing body and the miracle growing inside, you’re helping break down the walls of these stereotypes so that hopefully, one day, our daughters and granddaughters (sons and grandsons, too) have no idea they even existed in the first place.
Pictured below are photos from my first maternity photo session just after I started my family photograpy business in 2008 featuring my friend Rachel, who is a pyschologist and certified yoga instructor.
Tips for getting the most from your pregnancy photo session:
- Announcement photos: If you plan on those announcement photos, aim to schedule them between 15-20 weeks. You’ll be barely showing, past the scare of miscarriage, and full into the pregnancy glow.
- 3rd Trimester: If you want to take late pregnancy photos, aim to schedule them between 32-36 weeks for the best results. You’ll be beautifully pregnant, but not so uncomfortable you can’t enjoy the process.
- Loose clothes. Much like with newborn sessions, if you’d like photos with more skin, it’s important to not have lines from fabric and elastic. Wear loose, flowing clothing an hour or more before your session for the best effect.
- Pamper yourself. Professional hair and makeup is a great way of not only enhancing the beauty everyone is already seeing in you, but it can also boost confidence in a soon-to-be-mom. Schedule that mani-pedi, get your hair and makeup done and come in for some gorgeous photos.
- Relax and have fun. Maternity photos should be fun. A great photographer will know how to set the mood, helping you relax and have a good time. Your job is simply to be present and enjoy the moment. It will go fast.
Maternity photos are meant to be a fun, engaging way to celebrate the new life you’re creating both inside you and together with your family. Take the time to embrace the changes and enjoy the moment so you can look back at this time fondly in years to come. It may turn out to be one of the best things you did for yourself and your little one.
About the Author:
Julie Kubal is a child and family portrait artist and photographer serving Washington DC, Maryland, and Northern Virginia. She is passionate about creating warm and meaningful artwork through modern portraits and lifestyle photography at a location of your choice!