Family photography takes on many faces, and many locations. One of the things I get asked frequently is: Where are your favorite DC photo spots? While there are many spectacular settings in and around the Washington DC area, here are some of my favorite springtime spots.
- Bishop’s Garden at the National Cathedral: I’ve said it before, this is one of my favorite spots. It’s an ideal setting for family photos, regardless of the season. There’s plenty of room for kids to explore and lots of potential hidden in it’s grounds. The grounds have a beautiful balance between being manicured and natural providing a gorgeous backdrop for all of your family photos.
- Montrose Park in Georgetown: This publicly owned park is in a beautiful location between Dumbarton Oaks Park, and Oak Hill Cemetery. It has lots to offer kids with the large play area in the back of the park, and exquisite photo location options on the foot paths and trails leading into Rock Creek Park.
- Mitchell Park: This local city park is the perfect size; not too large and not too small. You can easily take advantage of all the different features it has to offer. I love the large trees, wide open field, and brick works all around. There are plenty of wonderful places to capture that special photograph.
- Meridian Hill Park: Not only is this a great spot for photographs, you can also keep your kids entertained for hours at this beautiful park. There’s something to explore in just about every corner in this Italian aristocrat inspired park. Complete with over a dozen giant stone water fountains, pools, and gorgeous architecture.
- Around Your Neighborhood: In all honesty, I love doing this the most. There’s something truly special about finding interesting nooks around a client’s home. Sometimes this can be in your own backyard, or by simply taking a walk around the block. Being on home turf can help first time families feel more comfortable, too. Trust me, a comfortable kiddo makes for a more photogenic kiddo. 😉
Do you have other favorite spots to add to my list? Leave me a comment below. I’d love to hear from you!
About the Author:
Julie Kubal is a child and family portrait artist and photographer serving Washington DC, Maryland, and Northern Virginia. She is passionate about creating warm and meaningful artwork through modern portraits and lifestyle photography at a location of your choice!