Capturing your family’s summer fun on film is not only a great for remembering the good times together, but it also helps you to be more engaged with your kids in the present moment. This especially true when we slow down and cherish the little, everyday summer fun children have. There are literally thousands of kids summer photo ideas that could be captured in a single day, let alone all summer. Here are some of my favorites:
- Secret Photo Ops – Wonder and amazement run rampant during summer vacation—particularly when kids get to see things they’ve never seen before. If you’re headed off to the zoo, aquarium, museum, or festival, capture your kids in the midst of amazement. Take a photo of them from behind while they’re tiptoed and looking over a railing at a new animal. Move off to the side while they play with the juggler at the fair. It’s okay to be a little sneaky in every day moments, too. There’s something really beautiful about capturing your kids in their natural state, enjoying the everyday pleasures in their world right now.
- While they Play – Playtime is a great time to snap up some adorable shots. Whether it’s at a lake, a water park, playing at the park, or throwing a water balloon—take a few moments to let your kids do their thing. Then you do yours! Let them get comfortable playing before you take any pictures, so you get their most authentic selves as they play.
- Little Explorers – Whether you’re hiking, picking flowers, or searching for beautiful rocks, nothing could be more delightful than capturing these moments of your kiddos being the little explorers they are. Every day there are new things to figure out with their senses, so luckily for you, every day opens up a world of possibilities for your camera.
- In Locomotion – Running, skipping, jumping, biking; this is the time to capture all of the fun ways your kids are on the move. As they get older, your kids will want to remember all of those times they got away from electronics to enjoy the summer sun and move their bodies. Trust me, you’ll want to remember it too!
- In the Dirt and at the Beach – Getting messy and wet is all part of the summer allure. Kids love playing in the dirt, building sand castles at the beach, and splashing in the water. There are thousands of photo opportunities up for grabs while they get down and dirty, or wet and wild. Don’t forget – sunset is a unique opportunity to take photos while they play. The back lighting from the sun, mixed with the colors of the sky will make those little silhouettes really stand out.
Remember, it’s okay to get involved and have someone else take a photo, too. Snap one of Dad, then hand him the camera. Or ask someone nearby if they wouldn’t mind clicking a couple. The main thing to remember is to slow down, enjoy the time you have together, and look for some of the simple moments you can photograph so the memories last forever. Every day is boundless with kids summer photo ideas, so if you miss one, don’t worry–there will be more tomorrow.
About the Author:
Julie Kubal is a child and family portrait artist and photographer serving Washington DC, Maryland, and Northern Virginia. She is passionate about creating warm and meaningful artwork through modern portraits and lifestyle photography at a location of your choice!