There’s something very special about the way the light hits the snow at just the right angle, or the flurry of a snowball as it flies through the air. Not to mention the giggles from under the fuzzy rim of a hat as the snowball makes its mark. Winter is a great time to get outside and grab some candid photos of your family enjoying all the fun the season brings. Since snow here in Washington DC can be so short-lived, it makes cherishing these moments even more special.
Because it’s nearly impossible to predict when the snow will fly (or how long it will stay), here are a few of my favorite moments for winter photos to help you capture the whimsical essence of this season with your kids. These make for wonderful images to put up on your wall, give as gifts, or enjoy together in a special album.
- Snowball Fights – Who doesn’t love heading outside to play with freshly fallen snow? I don’t know a kid on the planet who wouldn’t love to gear up and get some icy throws in. Try capturing a few action shots as your kids make their snowball arsenal, and again as they’re belting them out. Don’t forget to immortalize the looks on their faces as they release the snowball!
- Bundled Up – Snowsuits, scarves, boots, hats, and mittens—oh my! Every child looks adorable when they’re decked out and ready to make their mark in the snow. Capture their bundled up essence as they trudge out into the snow for the first time, or as they’re adjusting their hat again. Maybe they have to pull up their mittens, or retie their scarves. Whatever it is, sneak a few shots in to remember this moment.
- Snow Sculptures – Do you have a little boy or girl who loves to build things out of snow? Whether it’s a snowman, snow angel, or an elaborate snow fort; document your child’s creativity while they’re in the action of creation. Not only does this provide some wonderfully candid moments, but you’ll also preserve these creative memories for years to come. One day they’ll be looking back at the photos and say, “Hey! I remember that day.”
- The 3 S’s – Are your kids active souls who love to be outdoors no matter the weather? Skating, sledding, and skiing are great moments to photograph your kids having fun during winter days. Try getting a shot as they tie their skate laces, or snap their skis into place, or even right as they set off down the hillside.
- Rosy Cheeks – Kids have a way of looking even more adorable simply by dawning a set of rosy cheeks. When you head inside, pile the marshmallows high and hand your child a cup of hot cocoa. Then take a few pictures of them sipping away their shivers.
Enjoy these special winter moments with your kids. They come so infrequently and then they’re gone. Luckily for you, you can celebrate them for years to come by immortalizing your winter photos in various ways. One day, you’ll look back and be glad you did.
About the Author:
Julie Kubal is a child and family portrait artist and photographer serving Washington DC, Maryland, and Northern Virginia. She is passionate about creating warm and meaningful artwork through modern portraits and lifestyle photography at a location of your choice!